MAC At-A-Glance

[November] 11/26 - Monogram - MAC's annual couture collection, 11/30 - Perfect Style
[December] 12/26 - Dame Edna, Chill

March 13, 2008

Let's Discuss: 5 Must NOT Have Items!



There is, without a doubt, a time where we've all had our fair share of purchases which get categorized under the "Never Buy Again" and "Warn Everyone Else Not To Buy Them" piles. So here I am air my dirty laundry.

I was selected for this friendly game of "Tag" here on the blogosphere by Xuanie who is a pronounced makeup, clothes, shoes, and electronic (phones) addict and journalizes her thoughts in her personal blog and Jaclyn Rose, my twin who journalizes her thoughts on makeup, technology, and other randomness.

So I've come to play and here are my 5 Must NOT Have Items:
  1. Biore Pore Strips - Ok. I LOVE the idea behind these gadgets. But over the years of suffering from clogged pores on my nose, I'm left to wonder what my pores would look like had I not used these to begin with. My nose pores have become spoiled by this act of 'oooh-look-at-all-the-pores-I-trapped-today" and as a result, my pores are larger allowing more gross stuff to get trapped inside, harder to get out, and more noticeable when clogged. My take, you either start it or don't because there is no middle ground.
  2. Generic Tweezers - How are you two supposed to pluck my eyebrows if you two can't even touch each other?!
  3. SonyT10 - Yup folks, it's still lost. This is the camera that I've been using for all of my photos and my main gripe about it is that it is temperamental at taking pictures. I'm not a photography expert but when it comes to capturing certain moments, this camera is not quick enough for my use. Canon, you have done right by me for so long, I'm sorry to have deceived you with a Sony. It will never happen again!
  4. NYX Diamond Sparkle Lipstick - CHUNKY GLITTER... that's all I have to say - yuck!
  5. Sea Breeze Astringent - I believe this is responsible for stripping needed moisture in my skin. Almost like the harshest of the harshest! I definitely live in fear of putting this on my face now.
Do you have dirty laundry to air as well? Please share your 5 Must NOT Have Items!

Aloha,
Mrs. Lynne

Care to read or participate in future "Let's Discuss" posts? Then don't forget to subscribe to our feed or have email updates sent directly to you!

Share and Enjoy your MakeupFix!

50 makeovers:

Jenn said...

Those pore stripes are EVIL!!! they're so addictive!! hahaha!!

hey, like you, i thought that i can easily dish out 5 lousy items in a flash! i have been thinking about this for the past 10 minutes... and i can only come up with 3! lol! lemme think about this :D

Jaclyn Rose said...

hey twinnie, your take on those pore strips now have me say 'ohhhh' because I too feel the same way about the pores getting enlarged. all this time, i thought i was doing good by using them, but at the same time noticed more grimey stuff there.

and about the tweezers, I have 3 sets, but the other two, (i think they're revlon brand) pinches the heck out of me. I like the curved ones, i hope you know what I mean. I can't really describe it.

I'll be sure to remember what you said about the NYX diamond sparkle lipstick. I don't think that's one of the ones I recently ordered from cherryculture.com

psychoexgirlfriend said...

Sea Breeze was horrible! I remember using it when I was a teenager and it turned me off to toners until like 4 or 5 years ago.

Xuanie said...

i totally agree with you on the tweezers! i used cheap sucky ones and it just breaks the hair or doesnt grab on to it.

Also with the Biore pore strips, i totally wished i did not start using these darn buggers. lol

Anonymous said...

1. coalface by lush- way overrated. i think it just strips my face dry.
2. neutrogena deep clean cleanser- deep cleanser? yeah right, doesn't even remove light makeup all that well.
3. the yellow clinique dramatically something moisturizer- breaks me out. too thick for my combo skin
4. oil cleansers (olive and castor, then jojoba and castor)- tried it for more than a month and at first it seemed to be great then i broke out and had clogged pores for weeks. works for some, not me.
5. can't think of another one.

Anonymous said...

The Biore Pore strips seems to be popular as one of 5 must not have items, LOL

That Sea Breeze sounds painful :(

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

You and me both crazychick!

I actually thought that this post would be easy, but its so darn challenging! I even went to stare at the things in my bathroom to give me ideas, lol.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hey missjaclyrose.

Aren't those strips brainwashing! Trust me, I was like Ooohh look at all the stuff it's getting out when behind the scenes they're celebrating saying YAY! Dumb girl! Lol.

I think I know the tweezers you're talking about. Not the slanted ones but the ones with a rounded tip? I have to use slated ones or else I the hair has to be really fully grown in. The slanted ones allow me to get those that are just budding outta the womb, lol. But those dollar tweezers, no thanks.

I don't know if Cherry Culture has the Diamond Sparkle Lipsticks but I do know that most of the ones they have are the Rounds. But I hope you like em :)

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

psychoexgf,

I feel you girl. I used to use Sea Breeze 2x's a day! I didn't even start toning until the corners of my lips were getting dry and surprisingly toner did the trick. But seriously, it's no wonder I'm paying for it now!!

What toner are you using now?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Yup! Cheap tweezers suck Xuanie! They don't grab jack. I would always push them in packaging when I'm at the store to see if there were any gaps in them before I bought them, lol.

Biore Pore Strips = EVIL!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hi Anonymous!

Neutrogena cleanser dry out my skin. I was so convinced by the commercials then instantly disappointed with the first wash. Never again Neutrogena! I'm scarred for life yo!

I definitely cannot use the oil cleanser on it's own. I does a great job at restoring moisture in my skin, but I think I really need some deep penetrating stuff for the pores and such. So I'm using a mask more routinely now (speaking of which I have one on as I type!) and that seems to go hand in hand with the OCM. But I totally agree that what works for some will not work for all.

So what are the plans this weekend? Anything fun going on?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hi Julie!

The Biore Pore Strips are just one of those things that you either start and continue, or just don't do period. Because once you start, you only feed into the results on the strip and only do wrong by the using it more. Come check out my nose girlfriend! Hah.

And Sea Breeze is like THE MOST harshest of all astringents. I seriously don't know how people use it without pouring a whole bottle of moisturizer on right after.

So, what's going down this weekend girl? Are you still going to get your makeover for your school formal?

Christiana Divine @ Memoirs of A Shopping Addict said...

Hey sis! I remember using the seabreeze astringent my pre-natural skin care days and I agree. That stuff is definitely some harsh stuff. :P

MrsDiaz said...

Hey Girl,
I love your new site layout it's so cute! I got influenced to create my own beauty blog, so stop by and take a peak.

And as for those tweezers, may those all burn. hehe I definitely hate those tweezers. It's like geez if you can't pull out one stray hair, then you're not worth my time.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Chris,

Doesn't it remind you of acid or something? Looking back on it now, I feel like I was frying my face!!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hi MrsDiaz!!

Thanks hun :) I can't wait to see what you have cooking in your little beauty corner!

Yes, let's burn those tweezers straight down under. They have no business playing team with us, lol.

Unknown said...

aww thanks lynne!

he comes back on sunday. i might ask him for those hello kitty mango marshmallow i saw from anna's post today. hahaha i don't think we have those down here.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hello Kitty Mango Marshmallows?! Now I'm going to have to find me some of those! If he finds them, let me know which store because now you got me hungry!!

MariahGem said...

OK, hmm. Gosh, I'm trying to think of some, but it's difficult!

For me, I would say:

1. Clean & Clear Persa Gel. DO NOT drop even a tiny bit on that rug you love, because tomorrow, it will be bleached white. BLAGH!

2. Benefit Show-Offs. A lot like a pigment jar, and super pretty looking in the container, but it applies horribly, and doesn't stick unless you use a TON of mixing medium (not just water!). Often, it'll fly away, off your face, in a few hours. Plus, it's kinda chunky. Like glitter. Only, glitter actually stays with mixing medium!

3. I'm actually not that big of a fan of MAC's Pro Longwear lippies. They have to be applied VERY precisely and you have to leave your mouth open for like, 5 minutes until it completely dries! But, then again, it'll stay on you for like, 2 days! Only for really steady-handed, patient people.

4. Most all cream shadows are a NO-NO for me. Oily eyelids + cream shadow = Only looks good until I blink. So unless I only want to look good for only a half a minute, they're a no for me.

5. Certain Victoria's Secret lipglosses! Some of them, (mostly the see-through formulas)the kind in the tubes(like lancome's Juicy Tubes shape) are THE STICKIEST nastiest lipglosses I've ever used! BLEAGH!! SO NASTY!

Also, I read in Glamour not too long ago that they said Biore strips are a total no-no. They tear at your skin while they rip the clogs out. Unnecessary ripping on skin = bad!

And I read many reviews, and many articles that said Tweezerman tweezers are the best of the best! And I agree! I got some adorable pink ones, and they are the strongest, most awesome tweezers ever! Plus, they'll sharpen them for life! If you, for some reason actually need them re-sharpened, just send them back to the factory, and they'll fix 'em, FOR LIFE! It's awesome!

nilla cookie said...

Aloha Friday, Mrs. Lynne!

What a fun game! I got your tag and I'll have to work on it next week. Things have been so busy, I need to wrap up a few things before I head out of town. :(

Be back to regular commenting soon! Have a wonderful weekend, dear! :)

Seymone said...

The Sea Breeze astringent actually burned my damn face.. The worst.

na said...

Aww, I was kind of looking at those Diamond Sparkle lipsticks! I like anything shimmery, haha. But thanks for the heads up!

Shizznizzle said...

Agreed on NYX Diamond Sparkle Lipstick...LOL I dont wanna have a disco ball on my lips..the glitter are just too.........much.

mine would be:
1. AcneFree 3-step kit: (ProActiv generic brand), it breaks me out even worse coz it's too drying, their Benzoyl Peroxide percentage is too high and not to mention it is also combined with Salicylic Acid.

2. Any cream blush: I have oily skin so, yeah...i just dont like the idea putting a cream on my cheeks

3. Dark lipliner: not a fan of Adam's Family looks, neither a 1990s makeup misstep.

4. Britney Spear's Perfume: Idk, it just smells bad on me, too sweet and makes me smell like my 9 yearold niece with her perfume toy.

5. Maybelline Lash Stylist mascara it clumps BIG TIME...and weigh my lashes down.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Lynne,

It's Saturday in the US! Have a great weekend :)

Plans for my weekend include studying :D I have exams in two weeks, yikes!

I'm considering getting a make-over for my formal but don't want them using foundation on me cos umm .. I've never used foundation before, LOL. I might study some tutorials and practice! Then I can do my own make-up, hehe.

Jamie said...

I totally agree with you about the pore strips! I've never seen the value in them!

(g)ezebel said...

oh.my.god. i looooove biore pore strips!!! i don't use 'em anymore 'cuz i have mario badescu's silver powder, but i sure did love seeing the "forest" after peeling a biore strip off!

sea breeze. wow. you make me feel old. i used to use that when i was a teenager. yeeeeeeears ago.

Krystle said...

Hmmm I don't think I can think of five things, but here I go...

1) Bare Escentuals - waste of $60. The brushes suck, the foundation makes me break out, the blush is crap, and that skin rever stops pimples from growing, but it makes me break out.

2) Maybelline/Covergirl Eyeshadows - pretty in the pan, but too much shimmer and no color payoff

3) Aveeno Positively Radiant Moisturizer - gave me that glowy look, made my skin soft, but I broke out with a new pimple every week or so.

4) Garnier Nutritioniste Nutri-Pure Detoxifying Gel Cleanser - i got it b/c it had great reviews on Makeupalley, but it made my skin super dry

5) MAC e/s in Honesty - Pretty to swatch on my hand, but ugh I did not realize what a glittery mess it causes when I apply it.

Karen said...

1. Maybelline Great Lash in the pink and green tube. BLECH!

2. YSL Touche Eclat (so overrated)

3. Creme de la Mer

4. MAC nail polish

5. NYC loose powders

(g)ezebel said...

girrrl, the pregnancy C's is what i had, then i shrunk back down to "banana-shaped A's" which was worse than regular A's!! after two kids, my boobs were just, well, yucky for me. i hated them. they say, though, that flat-chested girls like me who get implants *never* think they're big enough because when we look in the mirror, all we see is small, and that's certainly true in my case. at 390cc's i'm a size C, but at 420cc's i'd be a D. tits on a stick, yo! *winks* it took me years to finally get the courage to even do research on breast augmentation, and once i got started, it was full speed ahead. from the moment i researched the risks, the surgeon i picked out, and how big i wanted to go (i ALWAYS recommend 2 sizes larger, or you won't be happy), it was 2 1/2 weeks when i actually had the surgery. at first i was like, HOLY SHIT, what the hell did i do to my boobs, they're HUGE. but that was 4 years ago. now... meh. i want them bigger. *shrugs*

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

You are such a crack up MariahGem!! You need to leave me comments more often. I love your sense of humor, lol!

I'm the same as you on cream eyeshadows. Did you ever try MAC's Metal-X?? Ugh! Why did I buy 4 of them?!?!?

What's going on this weekend girl? Anything fun?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Yay nilla cookie! I can't wait to hear your dirty laundry :)

I read you're going to visit your family. That should be very fun. And I'm sure they'll enjoy your new hair too. I think I'll be joining the hair 'shortage' very soon ;) At least, let's hope because I'm so tired of my hair right now.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Omg Seymone! Now that you mention it, I think I had the saaame problem happen to me before too! And stupid me kept on using it - uh, HELLO!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Emilee,

The Diamond Sparkle Lipsticks are pretty, but unfortunately it's chunky glitter instead of finely milled reflects glitter. Since they're pretty cheap, you should buy one and just see for yourself. They might work for you :)

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Nanzy! Doesn't Diamond Sparkle Lipstick just make you shiver? I like sparkling lips but not when it chunks up the formula and makes you lips dry.

I had the same thoughts on cream blush too. I stopped at the store one time and the girl tried it on, and believe it or not, but they are actually very pretty. But I definitely wouldn't recommend if you have problematic skin on the cheek area :)

OMG! Did you hear that Britney Spears was in an anime? I think I saw it on Best Week or something and I was cracking up!

How is your weekend going so far girl?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Julie,

You are such a good student. I hope my kids are like you when they reach highschool.

That would be very cool if you can do your own makeup! I think it's fun either way though. But in doing your own, you can tailor it exactly how you like it.

Good luck on your studying girl! Go rock those exams of yours!!! WOOOT!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

BeautyChick101,

I used to use Pore Strips because I LOVED seeing all the junk they take out. But little did I know that those bastards would make a fool of me years later. Now that's beauty backstabbing, lol!

How is your weekend going so far? Have you fully recovered from being back? Any jet lag at all?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

(g)! I LOVED the forest effect too. But seriously, those are the people you don't trust your kids with, lol. They backstabbed me and left me with huge pores.

And just THINKING of Sea Breeze when I typed it made me feel my age too! Man, I think we do this to stay young, yah? Lol.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

You have really sensitive skin, huh Krystle. I bought this thing from Bare Escentuals back in the day and it was a lip exfoliation lipstick. It was like sandpaper in a lipstick tube and it was crunk girl. So stupid.

And I've been wondering about that Aveeno Moisturizer. I'm wondering if it might work for me since I my skin doesn't really react much to anything.

I will have to see Honesty to know this mess you speak of. I don't like glitter messes. Yuck!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Karen,

Oh, I think every girl has owned Great Lash before. I remember that back in the day.

The only thing I like of the MAC nail lacquers is that they seem to dry rather fast. But seriously, I won't drop $11 on a nail polish. Essies more likely.

So what have you done this weekend so far?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

(g),

My chest is nothing without milk, lol. I remember this girl I used to work with who had her boobs done and they felt incredible! Very real and they looked great on her. But of course girls look nice with racks, lol.

But I commend you for going through with it and for having a successful surgery. That is good stuff yo!

Would you get anything else done? Or have you gotten anything else done?

Shizznizzle said...

Hahahah No i didnt hear about Britney being in Anime, i wonder how would that turn out...I feel sorry for the girl, i mean she's beautiful and all but it seems like she's having a very hard time in her life where she almost look crazy. or maybe she IS, god knows.

btw i just made a new blog for the sake of beauty addiction :D i linked your blog as a 'makeup guru' if you dont mind :D

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Dude, Nanzy!

I used to be such a huge Britney Spears fan from the beginning. And sadly, I was out of highschool already but I'll admit to liking her. Now, I only tune in for gossip. It's a shame the turn she's taken. She is pretty and really her like just 360ed on her.

A beauty addiction blog! YAY! Welcome to the club... let the disaster worsen, lol.

Are you ready for the week to start? Ok, that's probably a dumb question, lol.

Shizznizzle said...

Oh, believe me I was also all Britney'd up! LOL She was really sweet but now she's just a joke for the media. really sad.

and yeah, beauty addiction has taking over me....GAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH hahaha come by & leave me a comment sometimes (coz i still have no friend *sob sob*)

"am i ready for the week to start?" hmm..i am already starting a new week hahaahahahaha

btw did i tell you how i love your new site? it's very organized & informative! (must...do...something...with my crappy layouts) LOL

bye sis

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Nanzy, I was in line last week and read that Brit is pregnant again! And so is Brangelina and I guess J.Lo was a labor diva? I read headlines and never buy the stuff. And I never have enough time to find the darn page (cuz they never number the page I'm looking for!) because then my stuff is already all rung up, lol!

I'm feeling you on the start of the new week girl. I hate Sundays. I have to man the fort all week long with the kids. I love em to death, but it ain't easy!

Oh, and thanks for all the compliments on the layout :) I'm a little OCD on organization (if you can't tell). I'm Monica Geller from Friends, hah.

Sis, I'm a slow bird. Which one is your beauty blog?

Shizznizzle said...

hehehe its here: http://shizzle-nizzle.blogspot.com

yay yay *write down: one friend, check*

Krystle said...

haha I think I do have sensitive skin. Everything I try or put on makes me break out... I now think my Olay moisturizer is making me break out too. got any recs for something with spf?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Krystle,

Think you do too hun, lol. What are you using as your cleanser? Sometimes that can make all the difference because that is what rids all the junk off your face. If it's taking away too much, then the other products can seem more irritating to the skin. If it's not taking off enough, then the reaction might be a combination of old gunk plus the other products on top. Oh skin, 'tis so weird, yah?

Uh, honestly I don't even use SPF on my face :X I use my Kukui Nut Oil as a moisturizer and if it's a dry day, then I use the Olay Complete Moisturizer over it. And that's the only one that I own that has SPF. Are you allergic to Cetaphil or Eucerin?

Post a Comment