MAC At-A-Glance

[November] 11/26 - Monogram - MAC's annual couture collection, 11/30 - Perfect Style
[December] 12/26 - Dame Edna, Chill

June 5, 2008

FOTD: Old Gold Debuts A New Haircut!

If there is one MAC pigment that I've been wanting to try out, it's been Old Gold. I've seen many FOTDs using this tarnished gold pigment and could only wonder what it's powers were until I got to test it out firsthand. All I have to say is WHAT A BEAUTY! It has this antique sheen to it that just glistens no matter what angle. Gorgeous for earthtone looks and enough to get a little spicy with.

Here are the details of the look I did using MAC Old Gold Pigment:

(all MAC unless otherwise stated)

FACE
Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel
Studio Finish Concealer NW35 (ring finger)
Buff'd Camel (188)
Eversun Beauty Powder Blush (129)

BROWS
STILA Brow Set (266)

EYES

UDPP
Indianwood p/p (lid - 252)
Old Gold pigment (lid - 239)
Daisychain e/s (inner crease - 222)
A Little Folie e/s (outer lid - 239, 222)
Shroom e/s (highlight - 239)
Signed, Sealed e/s (outer crease - 219)
Blacktrack f/l (upper lashline - 208)
Graphblack Technakokhl (waterline)
Covergirl Lash Blast

LIPS
NYX Dark Brown Lipliner Pencil
Bare Slimshine






Here's how you can get this Old Gold look!

Brushes You'll Need:

  1. MAC 252 (or 242)
  2. MAC 239
  3. MAC 222 (or 224)
  4. MAC 219
  5. MAC 208
Eye Products You'll Need:
  1. Indianwood p/p
  2. Old Gold p/m
  3. Daisychain e/s
  4. A Little Folie e/s
  5. Shroom e/s (or highlighter of your choice)
  6. Blacktrack f/l
  7. Graphblack Technakohl
How To Get The Eyes:
  1. With a firm bristle brush like the MAC 252 (or it's kid sister the MAC 242), apply Indianwood p/p to the lid blending out the edges.
  2. Using an eyeshadow brush such as the MAC 239, pick up some Old Gold p/m and apply over Indianwood p/p concentrating color on the inner parts of the lid and closer to the lashline.
  3. With a blending brush like the MAC 222, blend Daisychain e/s into the inner crease. This will soften any of the harsh Old Gold p/m in that area.
  4. Apply A Little Folie e/s with a MAC 239 to the outer 1/3 of the eyelid. Do this by placing the brush vertically, bristle-side down. Pull the color up towards the crease but concentrate the color near the lashline so as to naturally blend out the color.
  5. Using the MAC 222 again, pick up a bit of A Little Folie e/s and starting from the outer crease, blend into the crease to further blend the Old Gold p/m and A Little Folie e/s. This will eventually meet with the Daisychain e/s we blended in Step 3.
  6. Dot a pencil brush such as the MAC 219 into Signed, Sealed e/s only a couple times (you don't want to start with too much). Place the tip of the brush at the corner of the outer crease and draw a line towards the middle of the lid allowing the brush to follow the crease. This will create depth in the outer crease.
  7. Using the side of the MAC 219, blend the line out. Don't drag the color into the lid, but away so as to keep the lid color from becoming dark. Follow through with a blending brush to further blend out the line if needed.
  8. Highlight the brow bone with Shroom e/s and a MAC 239.
  9. Line the upper lashline with Blacktrack f/l and a MAC 208.
  10. Fill in the waterline with Graphblack Technakohl.
  11. Curl eyelashes and finish off with your choice of mascara.
And with some great Old Gold eyes ready to go, I continued on the excitement of the day and (finally!) went to go get my hair did! Split ends and grown out dye is a thing of the past. Thanks to my cousin who put her Cosmetology skills to work, I got a fantastic cut!









THANK YOU KATIE!!

Hope your makeup is holding up folks! Only a couple more days until another weekend...

Aloha,
Mrs. Lynne

Do you have a color combination request you'd like me to try out? Please email me your idea or stay tuned for more looks by subscribing to our feed or by having email updates sent directly to you!

Share and Enjoy your MakeupFix!

67 makeovers:

Melissa Joy said...

wow, she did a really nice job on ur haircut! it looks really healthy!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hi ladystarr.

My cousin did a FABULOUS job! And I'm so glad that it has some natural shine going on. I kept myself off the heat for over half a year, hah!

How are you doing, girl? Any new makeup hauls lately?

Anonymous said...

tricia
omg ur hair is super cute, yet edgy enough. yay for ur cousin!

Anonymous said...

super cute lynne! now you have to style it everyday haha! yay katie!

The Sometimes Anti-zeitgeist said...

Mrs Lynne, might I say that your cousin took off about 10 years when she cut your hair! You look fab. :) and I love the "Old Gold" FOTD!

MakeupByRenRen said...

oh my gosh you look so good! i love that new hair cut, what a difference! oh and i loveeeee old gold too...it looks amazing under a black base like sharkskin shadestick or blacktrack fluidline

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hi Chi,

The thing I love is that she cut all my deads off so it's all pretty virgin. And the virgins are pretty straight (yay!) so I can just put it back with some bobby pins, woot! Hah. I can almost beat the system ;)

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Thanks Rachel!

I do feel much younger with the cut, hah! Probably just what I needed whenever I think of how old I am ;)

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hey Sis Ren,

That is exactly why I got Old Gold! I saw this tutorial with it over a black base and OMG! LOOOOVE IT, hah.

Hope you're having a great Thursday so far sis!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Thanks nilla cookie :) She did such a great job on it. I'm so glad I've finally been able to get it done.

Happy Thursday to you love!

Anonymous said...

haha great! i remember when it was almost impossible to tame that beast, pregnancy and island weather does wonders for curly hair huh? :)

Xuanie said...

OHH!!! i LIKE the new hair cut!! makes so look so much younger (in a good way) and so much more hip! the cut is great on you!

Anonymous said...

Aww! I love your hair! I think short hair looks nicer on you than long hair. :)

AskMeWhats said...

eeeeekkkkk!!!!! I have been longing for a haircut for months now..today I've decided to keep it long..now I saw your short hair..aaaccckk!!!! I'm thinking of cutting it again! but not short..it looks great on you!!! You honestly look very cute with the hair!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the cut just like mine except that yours is shorter!!! You look younger with your hair like that.

Mukho said...

Hey pretty lady! What an amazing haircut :) I just loove the way it falls and frames your face. And uh oh, u know how wild I get over gold, the more such looks u post, the happier I become :D And to continue my euphoria, u've put succchh a pretty color on ur lips. I just looove how the whole thing comes together.
This is going to be a long comment, hope u don't mind. Yeah, the AC's a lifesaver what with temperatures stuck at 105 degrees!!
Most importantly, wish ur Hubbo all the best for his education plans :)

mayaari said...

lynnie, you look great with your new 'do! very modern and hip :) now that you have less hair to style in the morning, you can spend more time perfecting your makeup (not that it isn't already perfect, but you know what I mean)

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hi chi,

Well, I would say not using a flat iron for nearly a year does wonders also ;) Hah.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Thanks Xuanie! I'm looking to keep my youth (even though I know I'm still in my 20s), hah.

How are you doing sweetie? How is everyone?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hah, thanks Hijabi Apprentice! Now I can match the weather here. It's been nice but ooohh.. can get pretty warm.

How are things with you hun?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Me LOVES short hair Tracy! Don't you have short hair also?

Oooh, and I went to Huckleberry Farm a couple of weeks ago and picked up some Aloe Juice. It smells kind of funny but boy does that stuff work! And I'm getting really anxious to drop some dough on the GOW starter kit... agh! Someone help me control myself, lol!!

Btw, have you eaten at that restaurant next to Huckleberry Farm? If so, how is it?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Thank you askmewhats! You're such a sweetheart :)

I've had the same dilemma for YEARS girl! To cut or not to cut *scratches head* There are so many times where I just want short hair, and then when I have it, I want it back to long hair. Guess it just comes with the territory of being a girl and never being satisfied, lol!

Have you decided what you'll do with your locks yet?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Thank you Alma. I was feeling frumpy with my long hair but only because I get lazy to style it. (Translation: put into a ponytail!) Lol.

Do you use certain products on your hair to maintain it?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Thanks for the compliments Mukho!

That's right, girl! You are a gold-FANATIC!! And you can totally rock out the gold with your gorgeous warm complexion. Thanks for the compliment on the lips. I actually didn't think it matched much. I had to pull a different combinations out my sleeves and nothing was really fitting. Then I got tired and ended up with this one, lol! Yes, lazy ;)

Whoa, 105! I haven't felt that since those hot, dry summers in California. I'm so glad you have that AC. I get heat stroke so I need to have an AC around me.

Thank you also for the warm wishes for Hubbo. He'll be glad to know that even my readers are encouraging :)

Will you be off this weekend? Or is it next?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Thanks Sis Mayaari! Reminds me kind of like when you got your haircut :D That was a fantastic cut! I wish my hair was naturally straight though like yours. I have a bit of a natural wave in mine (the picture above is blow dried straight) so it doesn't play as well without a little help, hah.

Btw, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond to your email. I did get it but have just been horrible about my time management. I hope your situation has gotten better between then and now. I promise I will write you back though. Just wanted to let you know that I didn't forget :)

Take care sis!!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hah, thanks Melissa! Need to preserve the youth ;)

Hope your week is doing well hun.

AskMeWhats said...

Your site is getting cooler and cooler each day! Now I see this lovely yellow circles..or bubbles? heheh nice job! Love it, I love the first one but this is great as well!

With regards to my locks..uggghh..I'm really a girl! I never had problems cutting my hair as I always have short hair when i was younger, now that I grew it really long, i feel bad cutting it! hahaha If I cut it...i'll miss styling my hair, if I don't cut it, I'm longing for the "carefree" hair!!! uggghh..don't ask me..i'm the girl..still undecided LOL

Christiana Divine @ Memoirs of A Shopping Addict said...

oOo. i like the layout! :) i also LOVE your new hair on you! it's very flattering on you. if only I could rock short hair. short hair brings out my round face more. :( BOO. LOL.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hah, thanks askmewhats! I still have to fix the circles because I was braindead when it came to making sure the pattern would repeat properly. Glad you like it though :)

Oh sweetie. I'm a total GIRL! I go through the same thoughts on my hair. I saw this gal the other day who had super short boy hair and it brought back memories of when I had my hair that short. I thought about doing that when I was sitting in the chair the other day. But opted to save some money on maintaining the cut, hah.

Are you a product junkie when it comes to hair stuff?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Thanks Sis Chris! I think you could totally rock out short hair. Like a little spiky and choppy edges? Woot, hollar hot stuff ;) Hah.

And thanks for the compliments on the new look :) Hope all is well hun!

AskMeWhats said...

Oh yes!!! big YES!!! I started loving hair products first before makeup (as I was too young then). I had this thing of wanting long shiny straight black hair! And my hair is naturally curly, and there's not much information on the internet then, so I bought different products from Shampoos, Conditioners, Leave-in conditioners, hair masks, Hot oil treatment, hair wax...etc..You name it, I've tried it...i guess ..those that are available here! Gosh..and now, I wanted to buy Kerastase (super expensive here) and I am really ..thinking...about buying it...coz that's like one of the most expensive hair treatment we have down here...arrrghh..

What about you? You're a product junkie for hair products too?

Anonymous said...

I love using Old Gold! It's a nice shade for a wash :)

You did an excellent job! And wow, I LOVE your hair. So retro chic :)

Hijabi Apprentice said...

Mrs. Lynne said: How are things with you hun?

Great! Enjoying pregnancy regardless of being tired all the time :).

yummy411 said...

awww you look gorg mama lynne! your cousin did a fantastic job!! what did the hubby say?

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just to menstion that I love your fotds.

Gold tones looks so good on you. And the bob is so chic! Love it.

Shizznizzle said...

OMG I love your hair, sis !!!
hot mama alert !!! ; )

looks really fresh & sexy...

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hi Askmewhats,

YOU have naturally curly hair?! Doesn't look curly at all by the looks of it on your blog. You're Filipina, yah? I have naturally wavy hair although I'm kind of enjoying the fact that my hair is laying fairly flat since I cut it (jumps in the air!).

I've seen Kerastase around but I'm not much of a hair junkie. Although I should be because that's probably why my hair is sooo dry. But I guess it's a case of choose your battles when it comes to what I can drop the dough on. So far, makeup has been winning, lol!

Do you have a recommendation on any hair products you're using right now?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Thanks Julie :)

Old Gold is really beautiful. I want to use it over Blacktrack... Hi! I'd like to drool now. Hah.

How is your week going so far girl?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Thanks PBW. I'm enjoying the low maintenance of it and the fact that it's laying flat. It normally doesn't behave that way but I'm glad it's not doing that now, hah.

Are you a hair product junkie too outside of a makeup junkie?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Congratulations Hijabi Apprentice!! Thanks for sharing. I'm so happy for you and baby. Woohoooo... How far along are you? Are/Did you have any morning sickness at all?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hi there Tammy. Thank you for the lovely comment :D

How is your week going so far?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hey yummy411,

As soon as I walked in the door he started singing Rhianna, lol! Enough said.

AskMeWhats said...

Ooops my bad Mrs. Lynne, I meant my hair is naturally Wavy and I had my hair rebonded last year that's why it looks slick straight at the moment :)

I'm using the Face Shop Magic Straight Shampoo and conditioner and it works well on me. Weekly, I do deep treatment by using L'oreal hair treatment or Kerastase :) it works for me :)

AskMeWhats said...

oops again,forgot to answer your question, yes, I'm Filipina...to be exact Filipino - Chinese :D

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hey Beda!

Thanks for the lovely compliment! And I'm glad you're enjoying the looks :)

Do you have a favorite shade of color that you like to rock out all the time?

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Aww.. thanks Sis Nanzy. And after seeing your swatches, I totally need to get up on the lipsticks again. *deep breathe*

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Hi askmewhats,

I'm Filipino - Chinese - Hispanic (although really, which one us isn't?? Hah.)

Ok, so I'm a little in the dark, but what is rebonded mean?? If it makes my hair look straight, I'm ALL about it!

Face Shop.. can that be found here? I tried the Pantene Extra Straight Shampoo (I think it's Extra or Extreme) and it did an okay job. Have you ever used egg whites/yolks on your hair?

Jaclyn Rose said...

hey twinnie! OMG, love your new haircut!!!! you look so beautiful. How have you been? good I hope. well I'll catch up with you later, mama!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

You're so sweet BeautyChick101. Had to find a way to preserve my youth, hah ;)

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Thanks Twin Jackie! I miss you mama. I hope all is well with you and the family :D Say 'hi' to everyone from us!

hairdressing products said...

You look absolutely stunning with that cute haircut! (and that’s from a hairdresser!) Fantastic pictures and I really enjoyed your hair dressing style :)

Post a Comment