MAC At-A-Glance

[November] 11/26 - Monogram - MAC's annual couture collection, 11/30 - Perfect Style
[December] 12/26 - Dame Edna, Chill

January 23, 2008

Let's Discuss: What would you keep?



I am to my makeup as my big boy is to milk - hooked! And I mean HOOKED. I could be kinder and say "crazed" or kick it up a notch and say "obsessive" or even more "addicted", but no matter what, these same words apply to the both of us. I mean, the kid says "milk" every other word and would drink glass after glass if he could!

When putting the big boy down for a nap, he always gets a big cup of milk along with a story of his choice. And when putting him for a nap today, I struck this thought, "what would happen if he couldn't have his milk?". Honestly, I wouldn't dare toy with him on the thought that he couldn't have any because I just can't pull it off. I don't have the heart to mess with something that I know he would take very personally. Yes, milk.

One thought led to another and I questioned myself. What would happen if my makeup privileges were taken away? Would there be a negotiation regarding what of my stash I could make peace with?

Although I hope I never have to face such an intervention, I know that I could give it all up in a heartbeat if I really needed to for the greater good. But you best believe that a girl ain't going to give it up without a REALLY darn good reason! Or a fight if it's anything less than serious.

So rolling on this thought, I broke my makeup collection down to what I would hold on to. It was very difficult for me to break it down in order of importance (you should try it!) so I'm just listing them in no particular order.
  1. Mineral Foundation. I don't need much coverage except a light layer, but even if I were to go out in public bare faced, I doesn't really phase me.
    • Which would I keep? Probably one of the shades I'm getting formulated by Buff'd.
  2. Concealer. I don't really rely on concealer that much and truth be told that I always forget to put it on.
    • Which would I keep? Everday Minerals Sunlight and MAC Studio Finish Concealer.
  3. Base. From MAC Cream Color Bases to MAC Paint Pots, I have to have something for my eyeshadow to stick to.
    • Which would I keep? UDPP, MAC Rubenesque and Delft Paint Pot
  4. Eyeshadows. There is just so much colorful fun in this bunch. Definitely shedding tears on this one.
    • Which would I keep? Clue, Frisco, Nocturnelle, Parrot, Carbon, Steamy, and Hepcat (just to name a few).
  5. Eyeliner. I really like my fluidline but when the clock is ticking, I don't mind omitting this step. So as long as my lashes are done.
    • Which would I keep? MAC Blacktrack Fluidline and Graphblack Technakohl
  6. Mascara. The lengthen and volumizing action all in this little tube and the wonders it does.
    • Which would I keep? L'Oreal Telescopic Mascara and Voluminous
  7. Blush/Contour. On my natural days, I'm a huge fan of blush. But if this was to leave my collection, I don't think I'd lose sleep over it.
    • Which would I keep? MAC's Sunbasque and Shadester
  8. Lipstick/Lipgloss. I am always good with just a bit of Lip Conditioner even though some will attest that a look isn't fully complete without a matching pout.
  9. Lipliner. I'm a rebel. I make my own lines :)
    • Which would I keep? Don't use any so I can definitely do with out.
  10. Brushes. These puppies are my pride and joy. You can never have too many.
    • Which would I keep? I'd at least need to hold onto my top 5 favorite brushes, 242, 129, and 182. Ok, honestly... I'd have to keep them all, lol.
So if you were to downgrade your stash for any reason, what would you keep?

Aloha,
Mrs. Lynne

Share and Enjoy your MakeupFix!

22 makeovers:

B said...

Damn Mrs...that is pretty hard to do. LOL, wow....um, I definitely agree with omitting the blush and fluidlines if need be.

Life stops if I can't have Carbon, Sketch, Ochre Style or the 182 brush. Ohh shoot, and you're right. No base? No point.

I love this!! It really gets you thinkin'!

mayaari said...

I like this post...I'll have to think about this! If I had to cut it down to absolute bare minimum, I'd need some sort of powder (mineral foundation, silk powder, or translucent powder), eyeliner, and lip balm.....but yes, I'll have to think about this one :)

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

DivineBlackness When I thought of this post, I actually was geared up that it was going to be easy. Boy was I wrong! I even got frustrated at one point, lol.

Oy! I forgot Sketch. LOVE Sketch. I'm actually loving Signed, Sealed right now too! Have you tried that one yet? It's a lovely depth color.

mayaari This one is definitely a thinker! It even makes me kind of sad to think that I hypothetically can't keep them all. Do let me know what you come up with though. I'm sure I'll probably be editing my list as time goes on, hah!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a question, LOL.

Okay. Here's mine:

MK eye primer
MAC Woodwinked e/s
MAC Satin taupe e/s
MAC Sweet Sienna pigment
MAC Vanilla pigment
Lancome le stylo waterproof eyeliner - noir
NARS Orgasm
The Body Shop lip balms
Tarte Park Avenue Princess mineral bronzer

That's about it, lol.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Julie Whoa! You got your list ready to rock 'n roll girl! Satin Taupe is gorgeous. I don't own it, but will eventually have to give it a home here. And Tarte mineral bronzer? Sounds promising! I'll have to check that the next time I'm at Sephora.

So with this list, you sure you can make peace in letting everything else go? Dun, dun, dun... lol.

L said...

OH NO! lynne, you just had to take it there huh? well let's see what i would keep.

-studio mist foundation
-light flush, medium deep & dark MSF's
-bare canvas & stilife paints
-love nectar lustreglass
-engraved eyeliner
-woodwinked & carbon eyeshadows
-sublime culture lip liner
oh & all my brushes for sure!

god, this was hard. it makes me sad thinking about it. LOL.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Lisa That is quite a list you got Lisa! But a good compilation of everything :) I was sad making my list too which is why I had to re-edit it from being in order of importance, hah.

Vanessa said...

All I need is my #139, #180, and #183 when it comes to brushes (eyes, face, and cheeks).

Makeup (one from each category):

- Have to have a paint pot, I would go with Painterly over Soft Ochre.

- Snob lipstick hands down.

- Underage Lipglass.

- StudioFinish Concealer

- "Patina" eyeshadow

- Milani Luminous Blush

- L'Oreal Telescopic Mascara

- Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner

MakeupByRenRen said...

what a great post! love love love it...to think how much money and investment would go to waste makes my stomach churn, but i think I could live without makeup. Before November I pretty much hardly ever wore makeup...before that I wore it all the time. Now, I pretty much only wear makeup when I'm going out...it's a nice balance I've achieved when I feel like I can go out without ANY makeup and still feel comfortable with myself. But after building this lil collection of mine...it would be very HARD to let anyone take away my toys...after all, they're also my hobby and my craft...
so here's my list!

FACE: mineralized satinfinish foundation, mineralized skin finish in light flush and medium dark, and of course my sculpt and shape duo in light sweep and shadester

LIPS: viva glam 5 lipglass

EYES: carbon e/s, shroom e/s, corduroy e/s...I pick those to do a night and day look, but you know I love my bright eyeshadows! Revlon colorstay liquid liner in blackest black (I alwayssss line my eyes), diorshow mascara, kohl pencil in smolder.

I think that's it!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Nessa So I'm wondering if you meant the #138 for cheeks because I know for sure you have that brush AND LOVE IT! Can you believe that is going for $105 in Australia?

I wish I could find me a Painterly on this island. So popular you'd think they'd restock it soon. And I've definitely been lemming your Snob. Do you have a dupe for Snob? I think you mentioned it before.

The weekend's almost here ma! Yeee!

Ren I know what you mean girl. I would seriously have that chest hurting sob action going on but for the right reason, I know I could lose the stash if needed. And I definitely feel comfortable going out with no makeup on. It doesn't bother me one bit and as judging as people are, they have no idea what I'm capable of behind the scenes :)

You definitely have a good list going on! Let just hope we never have to face a rude awakening reality check :)

Vanessa said...

Haha sorry sis yeah I meant the #138 brush, man I can't remember the numbers anymore they are all the same to me for some reason LOL. Love it though! And yeah I read on Liz's blog that it's going for that much holy crap! And I thought paying $52 for mine was a bit steep!

Yeah there is a dupe for Snob it's Covergirl lipstick #...I believe it's either 908, or 20_ something I don't remember but ask Christiana, she bought it!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Nessa Thanks sis! I'll probably get a real Snob once I get off my butt and depot some eyeshadow. There's so many, they're starting to form their own cult, lol!

Any big plans for the weekend? Is Jon still temping with you at work?

MsLanie said...

Wow! It must be hard to pick the best ones while loving all of it because I know I am frustrating picking some.

Face:
Mineralize Satinfinish Foundation, Studio Fix powder, EDM Weekend Getaway blush, and NYX Terra Cotta

EYES:
Engraved e/l
Blacktrack f/l
Katie B. Faux Lash mascara
Bare Study p/p
Woodwinked e/s
Sumptious Olive e/s
Satin Taupe e/s
Mystery e/s (for eyebrows)
Carbon e/s
Naked Lunch e/s

LIPS:
NYX Natural lipliner
Rimmel Birthday Suit lipstick

Brush:
187, 190, 192, 168, 166, 217, & 224

I know it's a long list but I just can't settle myself with just one item for each category.

MsLanie said...

Oh, i forgot to mention my all time HG Smashbox foundation primer and Humid eyeshadow!!! I love greens!!!

MsLanie said...

Oh gosh!! One more!!! My chapstick! Can't live with it will die with it!!

Sorry!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

mrslanielovesmac Boy Lanie! You sure got one heck of a list and a super face brush fix, hah. Sure would be a sad day if Armageddon were to hit up our shops, huh?

How is the MAC fetish going now that you have two tykes in your life?

MsLanie said...

OMG! Diapers and formula powders are fighting in with my MAC fetish!! LOL ;)

It would be such a disaster if Armageddon were ever to hit up our shops.

nilla cookie said...

Believe it or not, I think mine is pretty short - and I'm talking JUST basics for a full face:

Face:
Lancome Dual Finish Compact

Eyes:
Shiseido Brows in BL3
MAC Beige-ing shadestick
MAC Remotely Grey and Trax and Laura Mercier in Pearl
MAC Coffee eye pencil
L'Oreal Original Voluminous

Cheeks:
Lorac in Plum

Lips:
Chanel Glossimer in Spark
MAC Viva Glam V lipglass

I might be able to pare this down some more but I don't want to - ever!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

mrslanielovesmac Lol. Lucky for me I'm breastfeeding my baby but between diapers and wipes, oy! I formula-fed my oldest for a couple months towards the end so I can only fathom the expense when they're younger and need more to drink.

And MAC trips are enjoyable only when I've mapped out my quest for venturing into the store to begin with. In and out I tell you, in and out, lol.

How old are your children?

Nilla I love how you emphasize "just" basics, hah. We all know it could be much worse.

When I first started going through tutorials and I saw how people were listing their products, I would be a deer in headlights thinking, you can really use that much? Now when I make my list, I'm sure people think the same thing, lol.

How exciting!! You're unveiling in a few hours.. YAY!

yummy411 said...

when i first read your post i though "oy! this is too hard to fathom, so i'll have to come back when i have my head together" lol.. today for some reason this is easy... seriously, i would just want lip conditioner and satin taupe l/g since this is what i've been doing for the last two weeks. can you believe it?

but if this was more than just a temporary thing (and granted i'm not trying to do makeup as a side gig), i would say:

lip conditioner
lip glass (taupe notch)
concealer (bobbi brown)
mascara
face moisturizer with sunscreen
a mascara (loreal voluminous)
a tarte gel stain blush

and there you have it! i couldn't do anything else. when i fill my brows, i need the foundation, and if i do foundation i need the setting powder and the list just goes on...which is why i can't do my eyes with out the brows... uhh i guess you get my drift hahahaa!

have a great weekend mama lynn!!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

yummy411 Hey girl. Now you know why I couldn't list my products by order of importance. I actually got a headache attempting to do it, lol.

Post a Comment