MAC At-A-Glance

[November] 11/26 - Monogram - MAC's annual couture collection, 11/30 - Perfect Style
[December] 12/26 - Dame Edna, Chill

January 13, 2008

Product Review: MAC Lip Conditioner SPF 15

If you're like me, then you're cursed with lips that dry out easily. Lipstick and lipglosses are not your friend and neither are most chapsticks available on the market. At the end of the day, the ones that don't work for me (which is a lot!) have me screaming bloody murder.

I'm always skeptical about lip products because of the feeling I get when I wear them. They go on nice and glossy, gorgeous the first 10 minutes then it's like one of those relationships that go south rather quickly. The skin on my lips all of a sudden turns drier than the desert on the hottest day of the year then slowly scales itself away leaving me at my wits end trying to peel away the disgusting layers that would definitely send people running in the other direction.

I would always get cute lipglosses and lipsticks as presents but would have to tuck them away in a drawer because I just couldn't handle the results. Blotting my lipstick made my lips seem more prone to the drying effect but really was only an excuse for the lipstick to tear at my skin and dry it out quicker. I eventually omitted the blotting step altogether and still do it just out of a forced habit.

As a result, Aquaphor, Soft Lips, or Vaseline were the only things that I could wear to save the life of my lips in the dryout death match. While at a MAC store last year, I asked for a sample of their Lip Conditioner. And of all the samples I got that day, that was truly a winner for me.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

MAC Lip Conditioner SPF 15 $13.00
A lightweight conditioning balm for the lip formulated with SPF 15. Protects the lips from everyday aggressions, holds in moisture, provides gentle repair to dry lips. Contains Almond Oil, Shea Butter, Avocado Extract, Wheat Germ Oil, vitamins A and E. Petroleum based to seal in moisture yet smooth to apply, non-sticky on. Slightly vanilla-flavoured. Colour-free.
PRICE
Not your ordinary drugstore Blistex or Carmex so it does cost a fairly shiny penny. But since it does work for my lips, I'm willing to shell out the dollar bills to get my grabby hands on one. Although I'm not gonna lie that I wouldn't mind if it were a few dollars cheaper.

PACKAGING
Small and lightweight enough to grab and sleek enough to be proud of.
The Lip Conditioner comes in this cute 0.5 fl.oz. screw-top container. Easy for grabbing and tossing into my purse (aka a diaper bag) with a semi-grip-like top for easy screwing (hah).

WHAT I LIKE
I enjoy rubbing my lips together after applying and knowing that my lips are well moisturized. And not for 10 minutes, but long enough even after the product has absorbed it's still doing its job. I can sleep better at night knowing that the scales are under control. I also like the vanilla scent of the conditioner - light but not overpowering. It reminds me of the white Tic-Tacs. I do like the fact that I can use it sparingly also because a few rubs around the container, and I'll be good for a while. It's lightweight yet strong enough to provide decent lip coverage.

WHAT I DISLIKE
The price. Although it works, $13.00 will turn most away. Like I said, if it was a couple bucks cheaper, my smile would be wider. But then again, if I can get this container to last me a few months then I guess at a few dollars a month ain't so bad.

OVERALL
I dig it and will be repurchasing another one once I scape that last bit out of this container. I use it before I apply my lipstick just for added protection, after I get out of the shower, after washing up in the morning, and sometimes apply it again during the afternoon. I exfoliate my lips on a daily basis and having this on my lips is very soothing.

YOU'LL PROBABLY LIKE THIS IF...
- you have dry lips like moi.
- you want something whose emollient properties are between a lipstick and chapstick.
- SPF in lip products appeal to you.
- you like ingredients such as:
Almond Oil, Shea Butter, Avocado Extract, Wheat Germ Oil, vitamins A and E.

YOU'LL PROBABLY DISLIKE THIS IF...
- you're allergic to fragrance.
- you don't care for SPF in lip products.
- don't like the packaging (also available in tube, stick, and tinted form)

Have you found yourself a lip product that works for your personal lip issues? Please share!

Aloha,
Mrs. Lynne

Share and Enjoy your MakeupFix!

19 makeovers:

Anonymous said...

ahh i wanted to get one last time i went mac shopping, but the store was closing and i forgot to ask for a sample =/ but after reading this review, i think i'll purchase it and say goodbye to having to apply blistex every hour!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Kae Hey girl!! This must be the same time you got mesmerized by the eyeshadows and didn't even check out the Select/Sheer Powder, lol.

I think you'll like this. I used to use Blistex before too but just wasn't making the right move for me. My lips are really picky when it comes to what gets put on them and I was really pleased with how the Lip Conditioner worked for me.

And I didn't forget your email. Hopefully I can get to it when the tots are snoozing for their noon nap tomorrow :) Thank you for being patient.

Unknown said...

I am a lover of Aquaphor and Burt's Bees medicated lip balm. I have a slight addiction to lip balms so I'll probably give this a try because full lips + dry lips = not a good look LOL.

Shawnta said...

I will have to give this a try! I have about 7 different lipbalms right now and none of them are really doing anything.
On the mineral makeup front I still really like the buff'd foundation, but everyday minerals is still good and that has been the one I have been using since I haven't ordered the buff'd full size yet.
How have you been liking the Silk Naturals since the new cleansing method? Are you seeing a difference?

MakeupByRenRen said...

hey hon,
i'm so glad you did a review on this...I remember seeing you post about it before...my lips are so dry and awful...I can't go anywhere without having my big tube of aquaphor with me...i'll definitely check this out on my next trip to MAC

psychoexgirlfriend said...

I swear my Kiehl's lip balm - but then again, I don't have really dry lips. They're just dry during the winter. I find though that I'm starting to need exfoliation to keep the scalies away. Have you tried Kiehl's? Does it compare to MAC's lip conditioner?

Unknown said...

I found my HG lip balm... kiehl's!!! with chapstick, aveeno, and other lipbalms that i've used it made my lips even drier, but with kiehl's, i apply it sparingly and it keeps my lips nice and soft. and what's nice about it is it's in a tube so i don't have to dig it out of the pot (i'm against using my fingers and rubbing it in my lips, esp when there is no restroom where i can wash my hands first [germaphobe in short. hehehe]). It also has SPF 15 and it's only $8.50 for a 0.5 oz tube (relatively cheaper than the MAC one). but yea i've seen that at MAC and i thought it smelled good. but what kept me from buying it was because it's in a pot.

Elizabeth said...

Great review this thing would probably cost me $30+ from the MAC counter considering they jack the prices up here LOL.

Have you tried lucas paw paw ointment? ive been using it on my lips and its really good! Considering its summer here now my lips get really dry and flaky. Lucas paw paw ointment has saved me! And its got a glossy finish to it so no need for lipgloss!

Krystle said...

You would hate my choice, but carmex all the way! Except I hate the taste of the regular one and I always lose my mint and strawberry flavored ones! Go figure.

I have tried Smith's Strawberry Lip Balm. It's ok. I like the way it tastes, but on somedays it moisturizes and on others it makes my lips dry.

I have tried MAC TLC in Petting Pink. I like it. It works, and at first the sunscreen taste is kinda gross, but I got used to it. Now it tastes like vanilla to me! I did hear that the regular Lip Conditioner is better than the TLC.

Oh and to answer your previous question:
1) Yes, I am an NC42 (in the winter), but I can get as dark as a C6. lol.

Oh and maybe you can help me out here. I might go to the Pro Store in the near future and was wondering if you knew how to get there using BART and MUNI.

Sorry so long! Hope you have a great week!

nilla cookie said...

What a great review, Mrs. Lynne!

Personally, I would hate to shell out $13 bucks too, but if it truly works for you, it's better to spend that much than a couple of bucks here and there for items that don't work in the long haul ;)

I'm on a Blistex DCT (daily conditioning treatment) and I love it. I only wish it came in a tube or something because I hate to stick my fingers in things - germmies!

Hope you're having a great Monday!

yummy411 said...

great review! i went ahead and took the plunge to get the lip conditioner while at a cco (soothing beige)! the first time i tried it, my initial reaction was that i wasn't impressed, but after wearing it.. it was a dream! my lips actually stayed conditioned =) glad it worked for you!

Vanessa said...

Awwww thank you sis for your warm and sweet comment, seriously I was telling Christiana last night how even though none of us have ever met, I really feel like us beauty bloggers are all like family. I feel really close to you all and I can imagine us kicking it on the island with you having a blast at Hanauma Bay sippin' on some drinks! HAHAHAHA

It's just crazy how some people feel the need to put other people down, luckily I was used to it at one point in my life when I started modeling people put me down left and right including my agents. But it made me stronger and helped me grow as a person. These one particular incident didn't phase me, I am just annoyed how it is OUR personal blog and we have the right to say whatever we want, and here they are disrespecting me on MY own territory...very annoying indeed!

LOL I was cracking up at the flagpole meeting you mentioned HAHAHA back in the day!

MrsDiaz said...

I got this as a free gift from MAC after I emailed their customer service dept complimenting an artist I had dealt with. I really like this stuff, and it smells great too! Definitely will have to buy some more when I use this up.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

MaCherieCoco Hey love! I love my Aquaphor. My old manager actually gave it to me because I had really dry fingers. Then one day I ran out of Vaseline and just grabbed this and it works like a charm for me. I've heard good things about Burt's Bees line. I just never really checked it out but I love the little yellow containers, hah.

Btw, how is your 208 working for you?

Shawnta The MAC LC seems to be working well for me. And I know right away when something doesn't feel right on my lips.

As far as SN goes, I'm still eh about it. I'm trying though to see if I can work it, but I'm not really feeling it.

Ren Hey sis! I knew you'd appreciate this because it's MAC, haha. But then Aquaphor still is a good choice when all else fails. I hope you get lip happy too when you get it :)

psychoex I haven't tried Kiehl's so I can't compare it. But I will definitely check it out. I mean, if it works, then it's good to know my options :) Thanks for the recommendation!!

Anne Ah, another vote for Kiehl's! Like I told psychoex, I'll have to check it out now, hah. I've definitely had my run in with lip products so finding stuff that works is nil for me. MAC also has this in a tube and a stick for in case you didn't know :) I actually like the pot I'm opposite. I don't like knowing that my lips are all over the stick or tube because of germs, lol. But I guess they'll accumulate either way, huh? I use this sparingly as well. Morning, noon, and night and a little goes a LONG way.

Elizabeth Oh that's right! I keep forgetting about the price difference there.

I've actually never heard of Lucas Paw Paw Ointment. Sounds very chic! Will have to google it. Thanks for the recommendation hun!

Krystle I actually used Carmex for awhile but it just wasn't doing much for my lips. So sadly I had to retire from that.

Haven't tried the TLC, but am liking the regular one. The one I have has sunscreen in it but I don't taste it. You'll have to describe it for me so I know what to 'taste' for, haha!

And I've only been to the PRO in SF once. And I drove there. It's a biddy shop off of Union Street. Sorry, that's all I know :)

Nilla Hey lovely lady! You're right about spending dough. Better be worth it! But at the rate I'm using it (only 3x's a day) I'm expecting this to last pretty well. And since I'm home, I actually have the convenience of washing my hands before using it. When I had things in pots before, I would scrap out some of the product with the back of my nail and apply it to my lips that way. And I HAD a great Monday. Hope your Tuesday is fabbing!

yummy411 Loves me this LC!! I'll have to try tinted one next time. I wouldn't mind some color either :)

Nessa You know I got your back! It is rude and immature that people have the time to invest in that kind of nonsense. And your only human so it's only natural that you're going to respond to something like that, you know?

Anyhow, you let me know if the flagpole meeting is still on! Then we'll go grab some shaved ice after :)

MrsDiaz Hey girl! Isn't it just wonderful stuff? I like the smell. It's kind of sweet but works great! Glad to hear it working for you too hun. Hope your week is going well :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lynne:

I just found out your blog, very informative and i really enjoy reading it :) I think I have similar dry lips as yours which always bother me. I am wondering what's your way to exfoliate your lips to keep them soft and smooth? I am so interested in those MAC lip conditioner and will have to try it on my next trip to MAC :)

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Summer Hi there Summer! Thanks for taking the time to visit my cyber spot and I'm glad to know its contents are worth reading, hah.

When it comes to exfoliating, I honestly don't do much with them. When I take a shower, I rub my index finger from corner to corner and this usually unrolls any dead skin. This always works best when your lips and fingers are wet so as not to yank more skin off than needs be. Then when I get out of the shower, I put my Lip Conditioner on and it really feels good because you can feel it sinking into your lips to build moisture. I even use this under my lipsticks to minimize the drying effect.

My suggestion would be to see if you can sample the Lip Conditioner first to see if it'll work for you since it is $13 or so for the pot. It also comes in tube and stick form if you prefer.

Do you consider MAC to be your preferred makeup line of choice? Or is there another?

Syaza Nadiah said...

I just got this one this evening, and I absolutely love it! It is exactly like what you said. I got the one in stick form. In my country it cost 60 bucks. Waaaaay too expesive, but it's worth it.

Oh. and I have dry lips, just like yours ;)

Anonymous said...

Your blog looks nice, even so it would be far better if you’ll be able to use lighter colors too as a professional design. This will make sure that a lot more readers come to check it out.Informative post by the way!

online pharmacy

Anonymous said...

Couldnt agree more with that, very attractive article

clomid

Post a Comment