MAC At-A-Glance

[November] 11/26 - Monogram - MAC's annual couture collection, 11/30 - Perfect Style
[December] 12/26 - Dame Edna, Chill

January 24, 2008

Product Review: L'Oreal Cream Shadow Paint

Its happening as we speak! Budget cosmetics companies are stepping up to the plate and claiming a piece of the pie in this ever changing makeup hungry era. Inspired by products of the high-end clique, companies like L'Oreal and NYX are showcasing their talents to compete with the big-timers.

With the high performing crease-free MAC Paints that apply as a cream and dry to a powdery finish, we are now ready to up the ante to compare it with L'Oreal's newly released HiP Cream Shadow Paints. With properties very close to that of the MAC Paint, the consumer finally has it's shot at a semi-cheaper buy while continuing to shop for other household items like that darn toilet paper that just doesn't seem to refill itself.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

L'Oreal HIP Cream Shadow Paint $10-11
PRICE
I believe that one thing our supposed "budget cosmetic companies" are going to face if they want to play this game is the gawk and hesitation that will come from new makeup users as well as some of their loyal and beloved fans. On a personal note, I tend to associate cosmetic brands to be budget safe. In short, nothing in the double digits especially if they're sitting next to a Wet 'n Wild rack happily shoving $2-3 lipstick in your face.

But being a fan of L'Oreal mascaras, lipsticks, and hair color for a long time, I had a good taste of product quality already from this company. And it didn't surprise me one bit that they wanted to take on the challenge to compete in the high-end market. So my expectations for their expanding HiP Collection, which is tailored towards more modern and trendy looks, was that it should be a bit heavier in price. And if you think about it, it's actually a great deal considering you're getting more in the tube (0.25 oz. versus 0.23 oz. of MAC Paint) AND a short-handled dense application brush similar to MAC's 242!

My opinion though is that they need to strategically market their price by having their own storefront as opposed to sharing wall space with other labels whose tags are DOLLARS cheaper. It reminds me of when Hubbo and I did Real Estate a few years ago and you'd see this amazing house with all the bells and whistles stuck in between two houses that were in dire need of a face lift. Property values are determined by the comparables in the neighborhood, not by how much upgrading you do. So word to L'Oreal, "move your property to a better part of town, yo... PRONTO!!"

But good news is, unlike many high-end brands, L'Oreal is able to offer price breaks with their BOGO offers and periodical sale slashings.

PACKAGING
Starting with the outside plastic casing that everything is packaged in, I think overall it just makes the presentation look more professional. L'Oreal definitely brought their A-game in this one. Plus, if you've own a MAC Paint like Bare Canvas, you'll know how happy we all get when we open the tube and the contents scatter out like it's elementary school recess. Speaking of which, the Crease Shadow Paint is not any different. You close, you open, it oozes. Deal with it.

I was even more impressed that they took the extra step to provide a completely sealed off opening, similar to the tubes that contain the color in hair dye, which needs to be pierced prior to the first use.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

In the plastic casing that the Cream Shadow Paint comes in, there's a small well at the bottom which offers you a convenient place to put your product while you use it. The actual paint that is, not the tube. Personally, I don't care much for this feature as I'd rather just put the paint on the back of my hand, but if this knocks your socks off, then more power to you. ROCK ON!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And last but not least, the enclosed application brush. I don't own any of the HiP Pigments, but from the pictures it does look like the pigments are paired with a blending brush as opposed to a firm bristle brush like what's included here. And for comparison purposes, I placed it next to the MAC 242 to show you just how very similar they are. To me, the only difference is bristle quality and the handle length. The bristles of the HiP brush are more synthetic in feeling whereas the bristles of the MAC 242 seem to be slightly thicker in girth. But the HiP brush is nearly just as firm as the MAC 242.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

CONSISTENCY & TEXTURE
L'Oreal's Cream Shadow Paint is definitely more creamier than a tube of MAC Paint. The Cream Shadow Paint also seems to be much softer, almost airy, because it is creamier. But when applied and allowed to dry, the final finishes are the same, powdery.

I chose the lightest Cream Shadow Paint in Secretive (807) but as you can see from the swatch, and in real life, it is nowhere near as light as Bare Canvas. It actually reminds me of MAC's Soft Ochre Paint Pot except in the consistency and texture of a creamier paint. And when I catch it at the right angle, I note a very VERY subtle hint of shimmer but not enough to even bat a lash about.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

WHAT I LIKE
I really like the fact that L'Oreal even came out with this product! That means I can wander into the cosmetics selection of my local Wal-Mart with Hubbo and he'll think I'm just hoarding cheap makeup, lol.

Ok, but on the real note, I like that you get more for less money. A bigger tube of product AND a brush for nearly $6-7 cheaper! I also dig that the tube is completely sealed off giving me peace of mind in knowing the product hasn't been tampered with. And with the consistency being a bit creamier, it doesn't completely dehydrate my oil well of an eyelid.

WHAT I DISLIKE
I probably will not ever use the brush it came with. The handle is short and I just feel more at ease using my MAC 242. I also wish they had more colors to choose from since the only selections available are neutral-based. But I guess it's good from a company standpoint to test the waters first with neutrals then expand from there.

And although I am getting more product with a stretched dollar and I'm very impressed with the quality of most (if not all) their products, I'm paralyzed by the mere conscious fact that the display sits right next to other mediocre brands with "you get what you pay for" prices. If you were to house it in it's own setting where it's nowhere near other retailing budget cosmetics, then paying $10-11 for the Cream Shadow Paint wouldn't even make me think twice. L'Oreal seriously needs to fix the illusion because I believe most folks will see the same thing and will only be swayed to purchase because they've had a good experience in the quality. But as for impulse buying, the price is a no-no. We're a visual world that doesn't like to think about the justifications behind a company's actions.

OVERALL
But no matter how much gripe I got on the price, again L'Oreal has redeemed itself with another reputable creation. They are really setting the bar high with the HiP line. I just hope it continues.

YOU'LL PROBABLY LIKE THIS IF...
- you are digging the quality L'Oreal is tossing out these days.
- you are seeking a more affordable alternative to MAC Paints.
- you want to keep something in your travel kit.
- you're trying to conceal your makeup obsession in the price tag.

YOU'LL PROBABLY DISLIKE THIS IF...
- you already sold your soul to a specific cosmetics line and are not interested in venturing out.
- you're not interested in drugstore brands.
- you don't dig the ooze byfactor.
- you think of the price before the quality.

Can you see yourself getting HiP?

Aloha,
Mrs. Lynne

Share and Enjoy your MakeupFix!

13 makeovers:

Christiana Divine @ Memoirs of A Shopping Addict said...

woo hoo! this is perfect for meee. :] i'm going to have to pick up one of these when i get better. LOL. thanks for the great review and comparison love. :D

mayaari said...

Great review - I'll have to keep an eye out for these at my drugstore, haven't seen any of the new products yet. I think most of the HIP brushes look like they'd be decent, but in reality they're just not comparable...the brushes with the cream liners are too coarse to drag stuff across your eyes, haha.

It's Friday!

MakeupByRenRen said...

hi sis! great review, very professional and well written! you're on point with that new years resolution :)

I've been looking for these paints everywhereeee...I haven't seen them in my local drug store but do agree that I was turned off by the price when I walked in since everything else is way cheaper around it. Still BOGO saved the day and I picked up a shadow pencil (kinda like shadestick) and loved it! The cream eyeliners have some very vibrant colors too but the brush is so harsh! anywho, i'll keep a looksey for the paints b/c i'm looking for a replacement for my flammable paint which i LOST without ever using :( thanks again, have a great weekend with the fam :)

yummy411 said...

yay! you did a review! i can't wait until i get home to see the pics... i was pondering over them last night being BOGO and all, but the colors are so basic and i have Base Light and Sublime Nature paints that I love, but hardly use, since I'm so fond of concealer as a base... i do wish they had other colors... yes, something comparable to Flammable!

B said...

I read the whole article, but for some reason I can't view the pictures. Daaaaang. Anywho, WoW, I'm impressed. Go L'Oreal!! I may need to check these out. I'm lovin' how you've analyzed things. Business...marketing, heyyy!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review! I like L'oreal's mascaras too. Do you see any difference between the two paints like creasing and staying power?

nilla cookie said...

Hi Mrs. Lynne,

Fab review of the L'Oreal vs. MAC product! As I was telling Diana (Mayaari) yesterday, I really want to try out their paints!

Only, I'm going to wait for the next BOGO sale - can't beat $3-4 at that point!

Vanessa said...

Giirrrl! Awesome review! I just got me some HIP thing a ma bobs since CVS had them on sale buy one get one free! And the fact that they are cheap and comparative to MAC!?? Count ME in! I wanna get all the colors!

And I am so excited about Fafi!

watercoloursky said...

wow thanks for posting such a thorough review! i will definitely be getting some of them when they finally bring it over to canada. you have a great blog here - i'll be checking it out quite often in the future :)

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Chris Thanks girl! This is a great dupe of MAC Paint. I hope you are feeling better because I miss you dearly!

mayaari I have the cream liners (still in package) but I don't think I want to mess with anything that has the potential to scrape across my eye. How are you liking the HiP line so far?

Ren You are so cute to remember my resolution. But thank you for noticing! You know I'm trying, hah.

I noticed that some stores don't have the new HiP products next to the L'Oreal section but in another aisle because the wall space is already taken. So try checking the aisles next to the cosmetics section. You just might run across it:) Oh, and it's only neutral colors that they have. Nothing fancy in terms of color. But I'm hoping soon!!

How was your weekend sis?

yummy411 I would love it if they had other colors! Oh you better believe I'm sailing on that ship, hah.

I'm still in the making of using concealer as a base. I've used it before but it didn't do so hot for me. Dang oil wells! I always have to double base my products - such a pain in the patootie! But if it's working for you, no need to switch seeing how difficult the journey is already to find something that works.

Are you ready for the upcoming week?

Divine Blackness I think I'm part engineer because I can get very analytical about things, hah. But I'm glad it helps girl :)

How's the moving coming along?

mrslanielovesmac I did a base trial on it and on its own, it didn't work well for me. It does have staying power, but wears off on me after 6 hours or so. But wearing it over Urban Decay Primer Potion works like a charm :)

How are the kids ma?

Nilla Cookie I am seriously going to have to hollar at one of you ladies during the next BOGO deal because those don't happen here. The best we get is 25% off. Sometimes HiP will go on sale but only a few bucks off. Do MAC Paints work for you?

Nessa Seeing that you got 5 outta 6 girl, that's a pretty darn good collection! Lol. I can't wait for Fafi either. Must Fafi-nize myself!! Are you going to the in-store event?

blu3 Thank you :) I really enjoy that L'Oreal is taking the opportunity to evolve with the competition. That really targets a huge group like us seeing that we can't impulse on MAC without serious side effects, hah.

Do you have a particular makeup line that you tend to favor the most?

Anonymous said...

Wow! I have been to many make-up blogs, and never left a comment before! This is a very good detailed post! I just bought this product and I appriciated your time and effort.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Thanks anonymous! I'm glad you appreciated the post :)

How is the product working for you so far?

Post a Comment