MAC At-A-Glance

[November] 11/26 - Monogram - MAC's annual couture collection, 11/30 - Perfect Style
[December] 12/26 - Dame Edna, Chill

January 5, 2008

Reach for the... Brushes!

Every morning while me and Big Boy K (my oldest) sit down for breakfast, I'll throw my arms up in the air and take a good long and hard stretch. I'm always embellishing my carpel tunnel and weak back when I sit on the bed with my trusty Dell Inspiron gathering my mind for entries that this static workout ends up being done a few times, with each stretch getting longer as I do them (not as a set measurement, but because it feels damn good!). I can tell my body is conforming to the "Thinker" position because when I stretch, I hold it like a yoga pose. Downward dog anyone?

As I was saying, when I throw my arms up in the air (and wave 'em like I just don't care), I always say to Big Boy K, "streeeetch your arms and reach for the sky!!" Humoring me, he follows my lead.

Now when I put on my makeup, instead of throwing my arms up in the air, I casually reach over and dig into my Makeup Toolbelt for my most used brushes. These 5 eye brushes are what I find myself using most of the time for each look. In no particular order they are the MAC 217, 219, 222, 239, and 208.

MAC 217 $22.50 USD
I use this for my outer V, contouring my outer crease and blending my crease color into my highlight and the outer V. I may use it sometimes to wash color in from my outer lid, but just depends on how the look is coming along.

MAC 219 $23.00
USD
When it comes to lining my lower lashline with color, this bad boy is up to bat. I also use this brush for detailing my outer V (depositing the color in one spot and dragging the color) and defining my outer crease if need be. I will also grab this brush if I want to highlight my inner tear ducts with anything. Anything that needs precision, I holler at this one.

MAC 222 $28.00
USD
Until I figured out how to use this brush, I thought it was a waste of money. Now, I absolutely love it!!! This one I'll use from the outer crease and in gentle circular motions bring it into the inner crease area to blend. I actually prefer this one over the 217 because it's circumference is smaller so I can be more precise on blending my crease. The inner part of my eye looks heavy in color sometimes when I use the 217 in that area. I also use this when working my outer V mostly for the dark dark colors (i.e. Carbon, Sketch, Signed, Sealed,...). I dab, dab, dab in one spot to deposit the color and sweep out from that point to blend it.

MAC 239 $24.50
USD
If I there's one brush I'd like two of, it is this one! This is my most used brush out of all the brushes I own and that's because I love it sooo much. This brush is pretty dense so I use it for packing color onto the lid, deepening my crease, blending crease colors together, I can probably do a look just using this brush only.

and last but not least...

MAC 208 $19.00
USD
For everyone that asks about my fluidline, it's all thanks to this brush. Because the bristles are short giving me more control, and arranged slightly thicker than the 266, I find it perfect in giving me just the right size line without any need to make it thicker.

The quality of each brush is impeccable. Hand-sculpted, there is much love going into each full-size brush. Partner that up with routine cleaning and these will last for years.

Those are my 5 favorites. If I could only have one, it would have to be the 239. Many will attest to the 224 (not pictured) or the 217 being a favorite. I have both but the 239 wins my heart because it puts the color there. We wear eyeshadow to add some color to our eyes, and this one does a lovely job at that.

What are your favorite brushes and what do you use on a regular basis?

Aloha,
Mrs. Lynne

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Share and Enjoy your MakeupFix!

21 makeovers:

Christiana Divine @ Memoirs of A Shopping Addict said...

how cute is it that you posted your whole little routine on here. :] hehe. :D wowee, those are some nice brushes... i'll get some MAC brushes... one day. LOL. :]

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I seriously can't believe how cheap MAC is in the US! We pay $50AUD PLUS for one brush!! Ohh how I wish I could live in the US.

Thanks for posting that :) I'm currently gathering a list to figure out which ones are the most popular so I can make a purchase!

Melissa @ No. 2 Pencil said...

Hey Girl!

I just discovered your blog. So cute! I love the colors:)

I'm feelin' you on those brushes. 239 - love it for packin' on the color. I also use the 217 and 219 on a daily basis.

I think I will check out the 208 on your advice. I am not in love with my 266 for detail work.

Thanks for the tips!

B said...

I absoluely love the 222, as well. I copped this brush for only $7 at a CCO and love it for applying highlight to the browbone as well as blending up into the crease. I have 217SE that I got for a gift in one of those gift sets and realllly like it. I want to seee how it compares to the real 217 because if that one is better, I may get it! I'm a huge Sonia Kashuk brush girl so I like her brand of brushes just as much if not better than I like my MAC ones. Yay for brushes!

Nikkia Chanel said...

Hello!!
I seriously thought I was the only one who adores the 208 brush. This brush is small and firm enought to do just about anything. I use it to apply my concealer highlight. I use most of the same brushes but never thought to try the 222 just cause I liked the results of the 224, but to each is own. Great post! Thanks for sharing
Nikkia

na said...

You pretty much described my top 5! I love the 239 for packing on color, and the 217 for blending. I don't have the 222, but I've been meaning to check it out since I'm seeing it being used more and more.

Elizabeth said...

Its so sad how the brushes there are SO CHEAP and its double the freaken price here :(

MrsDiaz said...

I was just thinking to myself yesterday I need more eye brushes, as I have a ton of face brushes. I really didn't know what eye brushes I should look into, but this post was so helpful! Thanks!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Chris: I wasn't sure if the readers would relate my title to the saying "reach for the sky" so I decided I needed to add some background info, lol.

I'm sure there are better MORE AFFORDABLE brushes out there, but I like that MAC's are black and have numbers. I know, weird! HAH.

Julie: Hi there! I can't believe that they're MORE EXPENSIVE over there! I didn't even know it was possible to charge that much more for already expensive MAC brushes! I thought I was already paying an arm and a leg but I stand corrected.

I have many other MAC eyeshadow brushes that I use on occasion, but for the most part those 5 are the normal grabs. Glad my list could help. Once you get your brushes, do let me know how they work for you :)

Happy New Years!

Melissa: Hi sweetie! Pyzam has some really nice layouts for blogs. You should check them out. I'm a huge fan of contrast so I couldn't help myself to some hot pink and green :)

Isn't 239 just THE BEST brush ever?? It is definitely my HG brush. I eventually plan on getting another but oh, I'm so in love with it.

The 208 is a magnificent brush. I use the 266 for my brows but it was just a bit too flimsy for lining my eyes. When I got a makeover done, the gal used a 208 and I immediately got it and I am sooo glad I did. It's wonderful. Love to hear how the 208 works for you when you get it :)

Divine: Holy SHIZZZ!! $7?!?! I need me a CCO. I never knew that the outlet closest to where I used to live in CA had a CCO there. Ugh! I think you'll like a full-size 217. Sometimes its too big for my crease and that why I luuuurve my 222! And if only I had a Target here, I'd ride that Sonia Kashuk train too. But I agree, yay for brushes!!

slvrlips: Yay, another 208 sister! My liner is just never the same without this bad boy.

The 222 is like the 224 just a bit denser. I have the 224 also, but I think it's just too fluffy for me. I use it on occasion when I want just a wash of color, but anything more than a wash and it turns into a kindergarten school project for me, lol.

Girl Meets Makeup: Hey girl. I really like the 222 because I can start at my Outer V wiggle it all the way to my Inner V and not get left with huge amounts of color above my crease. I also like using it to blend my Outer V. Definitely a great brush in my book.

Elizabeth: I'm curious as to why they charge almost double there when the conversion from USD to AUD is about 1.15 (that's what Google told me, heh). Doesn't make sense I tell you.

MrsDiaz: Hey girl. You bet, I'm so glad it was helpful :) I remember when I was doing some research on brushes before I got mine, there were so many favorites that people had that I was getting confused. I would definitely recommend the 239 for starters and a blending brush of your choice. Either the 217, 222, or 224. I think you can pretty much get by with those ones until you feel more comfortable forking over the dough for more. Then again, you could just get 'em all. A girl can never have too many brushes :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing...and your brushes are so clean! All my goat hair brushes look kind of stained even after washing them lol.

I must go out and get the 222 and 208 now!

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Cindy: I'm actually mad at my 239 because now it's stained. And no matter how 'deep' cleaning I get with it, it doesn't want to let the color go.

I think you will be amazed with the 222 if you want a more dense blending brush and the 208 if you want a more controllable angle brush. The 208 is my LOVE though. When you get them, let me know how they work for you. Hopefully you'll love them also :)

Anna: They are costly but a great investment. If you live near a CCO, or have access to one, you may want to check if they have any MAC brushes available. I also hear that Sonia Kashuk (Target) are wonderful alternatives.

Stephanie said...

Wow, just five brushes is all you use? Your technique and colors used are great in your FOTDs! Is MAC brushes all you ever use? Just curious bc there are other brands out there. The MAC brushes seem like a good investment though.

psychoexgirlfriend said...

Hey Mrs Lynne, great post! I had the 219 before but it didn't do much for me. For some reason, I couldn't make it work. My HG eyeshadow brush is the 224 - I used it to blend just about everything. Do you know how the 222 compares?

Karen said...

I have a love hate relationship with the 219, but I have a LOVE LOVE relationship with the 217. Can't live without it!

Unknown said...

Okay this post came at the most perfect time! I want to by some make up brushes (I only have 275 and 213se) and didn't even know where to start. I think I'll pick up 208, 219, 239 and 116(for blush).

Thanks a million!

macheriecoco

MakeupByRenRen said...

hey hon! we're totally on the same pages...I always use 239 to apply the initial cover and then the other brushes are used to blend...i got some maxine mop brushes from Michaels that look just like the 239 so that I can have more of them :) I also use all the other brushes except 208...i'll have to look into that one!

great and helpful post :)

MakeupByRenRen said...

by the way...how do you keep your brushes so clean!? lol...mine don't look as pretty as yours :( darn white bristles

yummy411 said...

hey mrs.lynne- ahhh i can't see any of your pics.. i want a 222... most of my brushes don't have names or numbers but i do break out a 224, kabuki and a big fluffy face brush by sinful cosmetics-- those are my regular trusted brushes that i can think of.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Stephanie: I also use the 242 to apply my paint pots or paints if I use them, but somehow I didn't really factor that as being a must have brush since you can simply use your finger. But for the most part, yes I normally use 5 brushes. Sometimes I'll bust out the 224, but not often.

MAC brushes are the only brushes that I have aside from a few Sephora and Stila brushes. And it has been quite an investment, but I am happy with them. But I just stick to MAC because it's easier for me. I do know there are other brushes available that are just as good (if not better). I don't have a Michaels (for good craft brushes) or a Target (for Sonia Kashuk brushes) here, so I'm just making use with what I have :)

psychoex: I only use the 219 for lining my lower lashline or for strengthening the depth in my outer V. The 222 is a more denser brush than the 224 which is fluffy. It also deposits more color where as the 224 is creates more of a wash of color. At least in my opinion :)

Karen: I hear ya sister! I can work a 219 if need be, but sometimes it does tend to be more than I ask for, hah.

MaCherieCoco: You bet love! Let me know how they work for you :)

Ren: I wish I had Michaels here. But I'll see if the craft store here carries that brand. I'd love to have another 239 if not something CHEAPER but does the same thing. YAY! Thanks for the heads up.

After I use my brushes, I wipe them clean with Wet Ones Wipes. I use those because they are cheaper than the MAC Brush Cleanser and work. Then I use the Brush Cleanser if it's still pretty grunky after the wipe. Then I do deep clean every couple of weeks or once a month. But my 239 is starting to turn against me because I let the shadow sit in it for a couple days before I cleaned it.

yummy411: The 222 is just like a 224 except with white bristles and denser :)

Unknown said...

I have compiled the 2010 Complete MAC vs Sigma Brush Chart w/ Prices and Function list and posted it to my blog. Its a new blog and I could use some visitors!

http://makeupbyshawna.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment