MAC At-A-Glance

[November] 11/26 - Monogram - MAC's annual couture collection, 11/30 - Perfect Style
[December] 12/26 - Dame Edna, Chill

January 1, 2008

Haul: NYX Lipsticks and Everyday Minerals Samples

Happy New Years everyone! I hope everyone had a wonderful celebration. Here in Hawai'i, celebrating anything is a huge deal so to celebrate New Years, the island goes all out. Fireworks are legal here so the streets are lit and NOISY as hell. Smoke fills the air so bad that the week right before New Years, precautions to wear face masks are announced in the news. It's a very unique atmosphere during this time of year, so if you want to experience a new scene next year, consider coming over :)

Anyhow, we went to Longs yesterday to buy more fireworks and I went to the cosmetics aisle to see if there were any sales in effect. Ardell lashes were on sale for $2.59 (the tag said regular was $3.19, don't know if that's expensive since this is the first time I bought them) so I picked up a pair of 108s.

And still wanting to give NYX lipsticks a chance, I picked up a couple of colors from their Lips line. Just from swatching them I could see that these particular lipsticks were nicely moisturized. They didn't glide on thick or drying at all and enough color came out in one swipe. I wanted to get B52 because it was soooo pretty, but the ones they had were already opened. Casually, I had to say no thanks. But I did get Iced Honey and Twig which are lovely colors as well.

- Iced Honey: Golden beige with shimmer
- Twig: Silky brown-toned mauve
- B52: Wine tinted nude

I am also proud to report that after wearing Twig on my lips for a few hours, my lips didn't flake and dry out!!! This is a relief considering I was impressed with the swatch and had high hopes for its performance. The longevity of the wear could have been due to applying MAC's Lip Conditioner before application (thanks to Kia) but nonetheless I didn't have to start rubbing the product off my lips or picking at the skin. Major plus!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And then I come home from Longs and find a lovely end-of-the year present from Everyday Minerals - YAY!!! I luuurve presents. Well, not really a present but I got the samples I ordered the other day. Thanks to my love Christiana, I'm slowly migrating to a healthier skin approach. I'm still all about the brighter and bolder eyes which are probably disgusting in their ingredients list, but the rest of me could still be better taken cared of :)

I ordered the Free Sample Makeup Kit which you can choose 3 Foundations, 1 Blush/Face Color, and 1 Concealer. All you pay is shipping which came out to like $3 or $4 for me. The samples are good for 3-6 applications which is just enough to find out if these products will work for you.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

With Flash

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Without Flash

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It looks like Medium Tan is the one for my arm, but we'll have to see how it comes out on my face :) And just for MAC reference, I'm in the NC42-NC43 range.

Hope everyone's having a great start to the new year. Anyone come up with some more resolutions they want to add on their list?

Aloha,
Mrs. Lynne

Share and Enjoy your MakeupFix!

8 makeovers:

Christiana Divine @ Memoirs of A Shopping Addict said...

neat! :] now you def have to post pics of you wearing them on your face!!! :D nice haul by the way... i've been wanting to try out nyx lipsticks... you just make me want to try them more! :P iced honey is prettttyyyy. :D more lashes!? i want to see you wearing them already missy! haha. ;) oh and about the skin care, i agree... i still like the bright eyeshadows and frankly most (if not all) have bad ingredients... but i think it's logical to pick and choose where you do and do not get bad ingredients from! :) and the fact that you're minimizing it in one area is already a good choice. :] thanks about the comment about my last FOTD... i don't know why... i just wasn't crazy about it. LOL. :P yeah, it's exactly the same as when i liked one of the ones you posted and you weren't so hot for it. :D hehe. anywho, you make me want to live in hawaii... i swear. then again, i've always wanted to live there... at least go there! i have yet to go there... BUT my bf says that after I graduate we're going to take a cruise to hawaii as a grad present... so we'll see! :D anywho, i'm rambling. LOL. take care love and happy new year again. :D

MakeupByRenRen said...

hey hon, let me know what ED minerals looks best on you because you know we're the same skin color and all :) i don't think i've found my match yet :(

sound like a fabulous New Years, what a vibrant atmosphere you must have over there.

how is that MAC lip conditioner by the way? better than other drug store brand pots and balms? I dont really know much bout it, let me know hottie, thanks!

yummy411 said...

gah! all this talk about mineral makeup! i really need to get hip! MAC's mineralized stuff doesn't really count huh? LOL. i'm so glad the lip conditioner worked for you!! when i first tried it, i rolled my eyes because it was thin, didn't tingle my lips or simply make me feel like anything was really soothing my lips. after wearing it, i realized my lips were smoother and overall felt better. i got some from the cco, and now i reach for it all the time! i don't want to wear lipglass (drying, or at least no moisture) without my lip conditioner first. i get angry when i can't find it. i have soothing beige so that my lips have a little life and color =)

Shawnta said...

Medium tan is the one that matched me and I am a NC44 so I think it should look good or maybe a little bit of sandy medium added if it is too dark. I hope you find you match in this set. I had to go through two but for 4 dollars who can beat it? I'm really trying to do better overall for my health so I figure any little bit helps to out way the bad stuff that still slips in.

Elizabeth said...

Nice haul! I still havent received my EDM haul yet :( Post a pic with the Minerals and lippie on!

Shawnta said...

Hey Lynne just email Buff'd at info@buffd.com and let her know what three samples you would like. Glad the medium tan is working out for you. I know what you mean about eliminating extra steps so the simpler the better especially with babies running around.

Christiana Divine @ Memoirs of A Shopping Addict said...

i just wanted to respond to let you know that i'm filipino. :] but i'm also really curious as to what you thought my nationality was. the reason i ask is because oddly enough... people always question my nationality... dunno why. i always thought it was obvious i was filipino? lol. but there have been people who've thought i was mixed... i've been thought to be TONS of different mix combos. LOL! the most common one though is spanish and filipino or some sort of asian. i don't know, i always found it odd. maybe it's just how i do my makeup. LOL. :D

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

-Chris: Hi love! Yup, mineral virgin :)

I think you'll really like the NYX Lips Lipsticks. I was not fond of the Sparkling Lipsticks line, but this one is much better. AND no dry lips, YAY!

My first time visiting here was 5 months before I moved here. But we just got really lucky in being able to make the move. We're really blessed with our support system. But if you come, better holla at your girl :)

-Ren: Girl, you know I got your back :) New Years is THE BEST over here. Our neighbors were setting off aerials and it's so wicked being able to see them not matter which direction you turn.

I love the Lip Conditioner. It's one of the few things I can put on my lips that won't cause drying or flaking. Ask for sample next time you're at the store.

-Yummy411: Hey mama. I'll have to try out Soothing Beige when I run out. I knew they had tinted ones but I don't know if I saw this one. And I'm sure that MAC's MSFs still aren't as natural as they should be but I'm still gonna finish mine, lol.

-Shawnta: Hey love. I definitely think that my mix is between those two. Guess it just depends on how I feel, hah.

-Elizabeth: Hiya! You bet sista. What did you order in your haul?

Post a Comment